- NEW: VNC Server providing basic remote control freely available across all supported platforms.
- NEW: VNC Server containing premium security and performance features available for use across all supported UNIX/Linux and Mac OS X platforms.
- NEW: Apply a license key at any time to unlock premium features without installing software.
- NEW: The same license key can be applied on any platform, simplifying mixed deployments.
- NEW: Grace period of seven days in which to license VNC Server permanently after trial, or if an existing license key has expired.
- NEW: VNC Server user interface with improved access to diagnostic and troubleshooting information, and a licensing and repair wizard.
- NEW: VNC Viewer can automatically reconnect in certain circumstances, for example when a host computer user logs or switches out.
- NEW: VNC Viewer explicitly warns about unencrypted connections.
- NEW: VNC Viewer can connect via SOCKS/HTTP proxy servers that require BASIC authentication.
- NEW: Support for Windows 8 Release Preview.
The VNC Server executable has been renamed from winvnc4.exe to vncserver.exe.
VNC Server in Service Mode no longer automatically restarts if it was explicitly stopped before a computer is rebooted.
VNC Server in Service Mode need no longer be pre-registered before it is started at the command line.
VNC Server no longer requires a separate vncconfig utility in order to permit configuration.