VMware Player 2.5.3
VMware provides new support for the following guest operating system on Player 2.5.3:
* Ubuntu 9.04 is fully supported.
Following are the resolved issues in Player 2.5.3:
* New: Third party library libpng updated to 1.2.35. Several flaws were discovered in the way the third-party libpng library handled uninitialized pointers. An attacker could create a PNG image file in such a way, that when loaded by an application linked to libpng, it could cause the application to crash or execute arbitrary code at the privilege level of the user running the application. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CVE-2009-0040 to this issue.
* Sometimes the VMwareUser.exe process on a Windows guest uses 100 percent of the CPU after a drag and drop operation because the operation has not been terminated properly.
* The Etoken encryption USB device from Alladin Systems is not recognized in the preboot environment for a Windows XP virtual machine.
* Player virtual machines that were converted from ESX virtual machines might fail if the display is set to 8-bit color.
* After installing and configuring VMware Tools on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, the sound does not work after restarting the guest.
* On a Windows XP Service Pack 2 guest, the Hardware Wizard stops responding when installing Logitech QuickCAm Pro 9000.
* Add enhanced SVGA and mouse drivers to support X.Org server version 1.6.
* A WLK DiskStress test fails with data corruption error on LSI Logic virtual device.
* Moving files between shared folders or mapped drives in Windows gueststhat point to the same directory on the host, cause the files to disappear.
* Pressing any keys while grabbing (for example, Ctrl+g) or ungrabbing become stuck on Ubuntu 9.04 host.
* Player has been updated to power on the latest Microsoft Virtual PC files (.vhd). VMware recommends that you create a copy or linked clone of the image. If you do not create a copy, you cannot run the original virtual machine in VPC after running it in Player, because the virtual hardware layer has been modified.
* Performance is slow when opening a Shared Folder for the first time in a Player Windows guest.
* Drag and drop stops working when color depth is set to 16-bit on a Player guest.
* When moving a virtual machine from a later version of Player to a 2.5.x version of Player, the taskbar icon indicates that a more current version of VMware Tools is available and that VMware Tools should be updated.
* NAT networking does not work on the latest Windows operating systems.
* After uninstalling VMware Tools from an Ubuntu 8.10 guest, restart the guest to re-establish the netwok connection.
* Default suspend and resume scripts do not activate or deactivate the network interfaces correctly in a 32-bit Ubuntu 9.04 guests.